- Show all articles ( 13 ) Collapse Articles
- Show all articles ( 48 ) Collapse Articles
- DST: Depth, Speed & Temperature Module7
- NBF-3: NMEA 0183 Buffer10
- NDC-4: NMEA 0183 Multiplexer11
- NDC-5: NMEA 0183 Multiplexer1
- NGW-1 NMEA 2000 Gateway28
- OPTO-4: Serial Opto Isolator10
- PRO-BUF-1: Professional NMEA 0183 Buffer2
- PRO-MUX-1: Professional NMEA 0183 Multiplexer1
- USG-2: USB to Serial Gateway7
Why is isolation needed for my RS232 connection?
The NMEA 0183 specification, from version 2 and higher, requires devices to be isolated on their input lines. The OPTO-4 allows an RS232 input connection to meet these NMEA 0183 Listener specifications.
Without this protection you risk ground loop damage to the RS232 device and/or the NMEA Talker. This might result in the need to replace expensive equipment.