Configuring for AIS
We offer the NDC-4 preconfigured for AIS devices (product code: NDC-4-AIS). This will have “OPTO IN 2” set to communicate at 38400 baud by default and filters applied to this input to prevent the data appearing at “ISO OUT 1” as the large volume of data from AIS devices can quickly ‘flood’ the standard 4800 baud bandwidth at this output.
“ISO OUT 0” (and the USB port if used) is not affected by filters and communicates at 38400 baud by default so this is where the data from your AIS device will appear.
The standard NDC-4 can also be configured for AIS ‘in the field’ using NDC Control Centre
It is quite straight forward to manually configure the NDC-4 for AIS. Please follow the instructions below:
- Connect your NDC-4 to a PC following the instructions in this article.
- Launch NDC Control Centre.
- In the ‘Port Configure’ tab, change ‘Baud rate IN 2’ to 38400 baud and then press the ‘Send to Hardware’ button in the bottom right corner.
- In the ‘Inclusion List’ tab, select ‘NMEA Port 2’ under the ‘Editing Channel’ drop down menu on the right hand side. Select the sentences you wish to include / pass by Ticking them, then ‘Send to Hardware’ again once all required sentences have been selected.
This is how the inclusion list works:
- When there are NO ticks the list is disabled and ALL sentences are passed.
- When there is one or more ticks ONLY the ticked sentences are passed.
- All un-ticked sentences are blocked.
- To block ALL sentences the list needs a tick to become enabled.
- The sentence ticked will still be passed but causes ALL other sentences to be blocked.